One of the most important aspects about having a healthy mouth is proper gum care. After all, our gums house our teeth and without taking good care of them, our teeth would begin to rot and fall out.
Unfortunately, there are loads of rumors people hear from either a friend or family member, or maybe from reading a misleading article online. We’re here to clear the air on some of these rumors and set the facts straight about gum disease.
5 Myths About Gum Disease
1. Gum disease will go away on its own: This myth has developed over time as people have continued to take gum disease less and less seriously. As soon as you notice your gums are white, puffy, and bleed easily, it’s time to start brushing, flossing, and using proper mouthwash. The problem will not go away on its own!
2. Gum disease is uncommon: This may come as a surprise to many people, but gum disease is actually very common. According to some studies, half of adults over 30 have some form of gum disease.
3. I can spot and cure gum disease on my own: Gum disease might not be as obvious as one might think. Sometimes it takes a visit to the dentist to find out you suffer from gum disease.
4. Having gum disease means you take poor care of your mouth and gums: Research has sown that gum disease is actually passed down through genetics, and that over 30% of the population has gum disease due to genetics.
5. Gum disease isn’t that big of a deal: Gum disease is, in fact, a huge deal! Not only does the health of your gums directly effect your overall oral health, it can also contribute to diseases in other parts of your body.
If you think you may be suffering from gum disease, contact us today to schedule a visit!